Release Announcement: InfluxDB Cloud Now Available in Europe
By Balaji Palani / Nov 14, 2019 / Community, InfluxDB Cloud, Developer
Since the launch of our new InfluxDB Cloud platform in September, we have been busy working on the features that our CTO Paul Dix talked about in his blog. For example, a few weeks ago, we launched a beta for AWS Europe support and received great feedback from our community. Today, we are excited to announce that this support for AWS EU (Frankfurt) is now Generally Available for all InfluxDB Cloud customers and users.
To run InfluxDB on AWS Frankfurt, choose EU Frankfurt at the time of signup, like this:
Here are a few reasons you might want to do this:
- Legal: Your organization might be required to store data in the European Union due to EU data residency laws, or have a preference for doing so.
- Latency: If your applications are already running on the AWS region eu-central-1, and you'd like to keep your InfluxDB time series data in the same region as those apps to minimize any latency issues.
- Costs: Amazon charges to transfer data between AWS regions. If you used InfluxDB cloud on US West, and wanted to copy some of that data to AWS Frankfurt (or vice-versa), you'd be charged for data transfer. By keeping everything in one AWS region, you eliminate those charges.
- Redundancy: Telegraf makes it easy to send data to multiple instances of InfluxDB. You can configure Telegraf to send data to InfluxDB Cloud on both AWS West and AWS Frankfurt. If one of those AWS regions goes down, you still have the other AWS region to fall back on.
With this release, InfluxDB Cloud is now running on AWS in US-West-2 (Oregon) and EU-Central-1 (Frankfurt) regions. We’ll be rolling out to other AWS regions and making the service available on Google Cloud and Azure in the coming months. If you’d like to be notified when other regions and cloud provider support launch, you can sign up here.
Additionally, this release includes the following capabilities:
- Customers who want to remove their Free Plan rate limits can simply switch to usage-based pricing and pay only for what they use.
- Secure secret store to help you secure your sensitive credentials, use InfluxDB's integrated secret store and Flux's new secrets library.
- Additional dashboard templates to help reduce time to awesome like the updated System dashboard below:
Start your InfluxDB Cloud journey today by signing up for your own free account.
And if you’re at AWS Reinvent next month, come by booth #713 for a demo of InfluxDB Cloud running on AWS Frankfurt.