In the spirit of
1483228800000000000 we’ve put together some InfluxData resolutions for the new year. Check out the sections below for advice on working with InfluxDB, recommendations for maintaining a healthy database, and for something new to discover!
Resolution 1: Downsample to get your database in shape
Downsampling is moving high precision data to a lower precision. That’s as simple as taking one-second resolution data, aggregating those data to the one-hour resolution, and deleting the now unnecessary high precision data from your database. Adding downsampling to your database routine can:
- Eliminate storage concerns
- Improve query performance
- Improve graphing tool performance
InfluxDB has two features that automate the downsampling process. Continuous Queries (CQs) automatically and periodically run a downsampling query and Retention Policies (RPs) delete any old, unwanted data. Check out the Downsampling and Data Retention guide for more information and for a sample setup.
Resolution 2: Focus on series cardinality to maintain database health
Series cardinality is the number of unique database, measurement, and tag set combinations in an InfluxDB instance. We talk about it quite a bit because extremely high series cardinality can kill your InfluxDB process.
Here are a couple things you can do to monitor and manage your series cardinality:
- Get a snapshot of your current series cardinality
- Remove any old, unwanted series
- Set a maximum allowable number of series
- Set a maximum allowable number of tag values per tag key
Resolution 3: Get started with Chronograf to simplify your monitoring solution
Chronograf is the open source user interface component of InfluxData’s TICK stack. Chronograf offers an application-based view of your infrastructure, data visualizations, and a user interface for Kapacitor (InfluxData’s data processing engine).
- Downloads for the TICK-stack are live on our “downloads” page
- Deploy on the Cloud: Get started with a FREE trial of InfluxDB Cloud featuring fully-managed clusters, Kapacitor and Grafana.
- Deploy on Your Servers: Want to run InfluxDB clusters on your servers? Try a FREE 14-day trial of InfluxDB Enterprise featuring an intuitive UI for deploying, monitoring and rebalancing clusters, plus managing backups and restores.
- Tell Your Story: Over 100 companies have shared their story on how InfluxDB is helping them succeed. Submit your testimonial and get a limited edition hoodie as a thank you.